The ASEAN Medical School Network (AMSN) was established in 2012 by Clinical Professor Udom Kachintorn during his appointment as Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital. Professor Kachintorn currently serves as the President of Mahidol University, and Professor Prasit Watanapa helms the Chair of AMSN.
The aims of AMSN are to promote friendship and collaboration among the leading medical schools in ASEAN; to achieve excellence in medical education and healthcare; to share human resources and assist one another in capacity building in medical education and research; and to work as one community as part of the ASEAN Vision 2020.
A major initiative of AMSN is the annual ASEAN Medical Deans’ Summit. The first Summit was held in September 2012 at Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand. The Summits were then subsequently held in Malaysia in 2013, Singapore in 2014, Philippines in 2015, and Indonesia in 2016.
The founding member institutions of AMSN are:
- Pengiran Anak Puteri Rashidah Sa’adatul Bolkiah (PAPRSB) Institute of Health Sciences, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Health Sciences, Cambodia
- International University, Cambodia
- Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Indonesia
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Health Sciences, Laos PDR
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Malaysia
- University of Medicine (I), Yangon, Myanmar
- University of Medicine, Mandalay, Myanmar
- College of Medicine, University of Philippines Manila, Philippines
- Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand, and
- Hanoi Medical University, Vietnam