- After submission to the University, the MSc thesis will be examined by 2 examiners, both from the University or one from the University and one external examiner.
- Upon receipt of the examiners' reports, the Chairman of the SGPC can recommend award of the degree or subject the thesis to any necessary amendments.
- Under certain circumstances, an oral examination may be arranged.
- After submission to the University, the PhD thesis will be examined by three examiners, at least one of whom is an external examiner.
- Upon receipt of the examiners‘ reports, a PhD Oral Examination Panel comprising of at least 3 members will be set up by the SGPC.
- A suitable date will be set for an open seminar by the student where the Oral Examination Panel will assess his presentation and ability to answer questions from the audience.
- At the end of the open seminar, the student will meet privately with the Oral Examination Panel for discussion on any further questions that the Panel wishes to raise as well as any amendments to the written thesis.
- A report of the oral exam will be submitted by the panel to the SGPC.
- Upon satisfactory completion of any amendments to the written thesis, the Oral Examination Panel will submit its decision to the Dean and the University‘s Board of Examiners on Higher Degrees.
Students are advised to visit the Registrar' Office website at http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/event/exam.html for further details.