REINVENT Professional Development Framework for NUS Medicine Postdoctoral Fellows
The postdoctoral fellow community plays a vital role in developing medical sciences research at NUS Medicine. Given their diverse backgrounds and expertise, NUS Medicine recognises the need to support the growth of this community to help them maximise their potential and achieve their aspirations while contributing to the University and society as a whole.
To better streamline these efforts, REINVENT was established to provide a framework for professional development of our postdoctoral fellows. Comprising three components (see figure 1), the REINVENT program is designed to equip our fellows with skills to be ready for future jobs either in academia, industry or administrative bodies depending on individual interests.Those of you who are selected for the full program comprising the core, elective and practicum components have to complete the program within two years. (Take note: You can choose to complete the program in a shorter time period. It really depends on your interest and how you wish to delegate your time and resources. The upper limit of 2 years is given to provide sufficient flexibility of time to our postdocs.)
The core modules are open to the postdoctoral fellows selected for the full program. There are four core areas (mentoring, leadership, communication and career planning) which have been identified to be crucial in the professional development of the research fellows. All participants who qualify for the full program are required to attend these established short training programs, which would last between 1 to 2 days and would be fully paid for by the school. These courses would be most likely conducted in the second half of the year.
Participants are required to attend a 1-day training program by the NUS Centre for Medical Education on Supporting the Learners through Supervision, Coaching and Mentoring Workshop. The participants will be asked to write a reflection on someone they are mentoring at work, and how they may be able to provide better support for their mentee.
Participants are required to attend a 1-day John Maxwell leadership training workshop. They will also have plenty of opportunities to demonstrate their capabilities, which includes taking on leadership roles with NUS Med Postdoctoral Association and also through the practicum.
Participants are required to attend a 2-day communication workshop conducted by the NUS Centre for English Language Communication. They will find opportunities to hone their skills further at communication challenges and sharing sessions.
The fellows will need to compose a personalized development plan as part of their career planning. They may seek faculty members as mentors for this purpose from our school. We will work to compile a list of faculty members who would be interested in providing mentorship in various areas. Do follow the following link to learn more about developing your individual development plan. https://myidp.sciencecareers.org/Overview/Summary
The electives are open to ALL NUS Med postdoctoral fellows. We note that postdocs have diverse needs and interests. Based on the needs assessment, we have identified three critical areas to channel more resources to support the development of our postdocs better. These three areas, namely teaching, developing research collaborations and expertise, and business & entrepreneurship have been crafted into three electives.
Postdocs are required to attend a 2-day workshop organised by Centre for Development of Teaching & Learning (CDTL), NUS. They will also have a teaching mentor assigned to them. To apply their skills, they can choose 1 of the following options:
- RFs will be enrolled by a department to teach in tutorials or practicals. Maximum of 4-5 hours per semester.
- Contribute to the creation of e-learning materials.
To view the list of modules you can teach in, kindly click on the following link (http://nusmedicine.nus.edu.sg/medical-sciences-cluster/teaching-elective/). If you are interested in teaching any of the slots, kindly email the module coordinator at the email provided on the website and CC us at firstname.lastname@example.org, with an email subject heading: Teaching_REINVENT : Module code (XXXXXXX)
Fellows who choose this elective are required to attend at least two scientific/grant writing and patents-related workshops. They can then go on to select 1 of the following options:
- Conduct an expert seminar. (e.g. They may have expertise in creating scientific illustrations. They could conduct a workshop for postdocs, graduate/FYP students);
- Building bridges: Postdocs & Junior Clinicians joint projects - Moot any level of collaboration with a clinician (preferably residents/Associate Consultants) and develop tangible outcomes or long-term plans
If you are interested in exploring the postdocs and junior clinicians joint projects or in conducting an expert seminar, kindly email us at email@example.com with an email subject heading: Research_REINVENT
c) Business & Entrepreneurship
Lean LaunchPad (LLP) is a programme modelled after the highly successful US National Science Foundation I-Corps programme, now widely adopted by leading universities in the US. Participants of the LLP program have demonstrated a changed mindset with positive impact in new knowledge gained and increased confidence in identifying which of several different pathways to commercialisation to pursue. We hope this elective will further drive innovations at NUS Medicine.
- Join LLP as an Entrepreneurial Lead for a two days’ boot camp + 10 weeks’ program (weekly 10-15 hours’ commitment from within or outside working hours). Supervisor’s endorsement is needed.
If you are interested in joining as an Entrepreneurial Lead, kindly email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with an email subject heading: B&E_REINVENT
The capstone of REINVENT is the practicum, which is a compulsory component for participants selected for the full program. Postdoctoral fellows would form teams and undertake and execute a project of their choice that impacts NUS Medicine or the university as a whole positively. The proposals will be reviewed by a panel of experts to gauge impact, relevance and suitability.
- All NUS Medicine research fellows who have at least 6 month of post-doctoral experience at NUS, and who have at least 1.5 years left on your contract. (If you have less than 1.5 years on your contract but are likely to be renewed, please do indicate on your application form.)
- Yearly enrollment size will range between 20 - 25 candidates.
- Research will continue being the priority of all participants. Time management is critical, and they will have to carve out time for their career development.
- About 5% of time commitment is expected over a 2-year period.
To apply for the full REINVENT program (core, electives and practicum), please submit the following documents to email@example.com by Jan 25, 2019.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. 1-2 page cover letter covering the following:
- What you hope to gain out of the program
- Provide a suggestion(s) or area(s), which you feel NUSMed could improve on and briefly illustrate feasible solutions to the problem or suggest any project that you would like to undertake that can positively impact NUSMed. This project, if approved, could form the basis of your practicum, alone or as a group (preferable).
3. Endorsement by PI is necessary (Application Form).
We look forward to recognizing the efforts of our postdoctoral fellows who play a vital role in nurturing the minds of our undergraduate and graduate students, and pushing the boundaries of science.
We are looking forward to giving out the following awards to our deserving fellows.
1.Best Research Mentor of the Year (all RFs can apply)
- Student mentorship – needs student(s)’ and/or PI’s recommendations.
2.Best Postdoc of the Year (all RFs can apply)
- Conference presentations
- Nurturing new collaborations
- Contribution to NUSMed
3.Certificates on Completing Electives and the Full Reinvent Program
We look forward to receiving your applications. For all further enquires on the REINVENT program, kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.