Researching and diagnosing risk group 3 (RG3) biological agents require specialised research facility design and procedures that ensure the safety of operators, researchers and communities. The Biosafety level-3 (BSL-3) Core Facility under the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS Medicine) is a specialised biocontainment that can accommodate RG3 pathogen research and diagnostic work. The facility is certified by the Biosafety Branch, Ministry of Health (MOH) and Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA). The state-of-the-art NUS Medicine BSL-3 Core Facility is about 650m2 in size, and it is equipped with essential and complex laboratory equipment (e.g. flow cytometers, spectrophotometers and an aerosolization machine for establishing infectious mouse models). The facility is operated by skilled personnel who can operate the facility and assist in carrying out in vitro and in vivo work on RG3 viruses, bacteria, fungi and biological agents contaminated samples. The Facility is located at the Centre for Translational Medicine (MD6) in the NUS Kent Ridge campus, and is headed by Associate Professor Chu Jang Hann, Justin. Currently, more than 40 regular researchers are working with a diverse range of RG3 biological agents in the laboratory. The Facility also supports the National Public Health Laboratory’s activities such as RG3 pathogen surveillance and preparedness for effective outbreak management.
To be a leading global centre of excellence for high-containment infectious disease translational research.
- To provide a state-of-the-art BSL-3/ABSL-3 environment for researchers and clinicians at NUS and NUHS
- To train laboratory users in the safe handling of biological agents and toxins
- To ensure regulatory compliance
- To promote biosafety/biosecurity through continuous education
- To promote collaborations between basic scientists and clinicians
- To stimulate development of new diagnostics, therapeutics, vaccines and high-impact basic and public health research
BSL-3 Core Facility Staff
- National University of Singapore
- National University Health System
- National Medical Research Council, Singapore
- Ministry of Health, Singapore